The White Rose

The White Rose

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Memories XI

I gulped, trying to moisten my dry throat. I was standing in the atrium of the auditorium, keeping an eye out for anyone who might compromise Sophie and Hans’ mission.  Sophie had seemed relieved when I’d told her I knew about her part in the White Rose Society.
“It was so hard to keep it from you, but secrecy was top priority, as I didn’t know your exact stance on Hitler’s reign. But you don’t have to prove yourself to me by keeping watch. I’ve always known you were the best friend I could ever wish for.” But I had insisted, and now here I was, trying desperately to act nonchalant. I could hear the pattering of their feet as they hurriedly dropped off stacks of pamphlets in front of classroom doors. I glanced around, and gasped. The clock showed that they had less than twenty seconds before classes were released. I whistled, first long, then short, warning them of the diminishing time. Their footsteps picked up speed, and I saw Sophie right above me, looking over the edge of the auditorium from the balcony on the third floor, a huge stack of pamphlets still in her hands. At that moment, a janitor rounded the corner. I gasped in horror, whistling to signal the entrance of another person. But it was too late, he’d already seen her. Locking eyes with me, Sophie twisted her mouth into that half smile that I’d become so familiar with, and opening her arms, thrust the stack of leaflets over the edge just as the bell rang to end classes. Then she turned and ran away, becoming enveloped in the sea of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment